If you find your celery at all tough to eat raw, try baking this delicious celery dish and serving with your favourite salad mix.
2 heads of Celery
1 small Onion
2 Bay Leaves
40g Plain Flour
30g grated Strong Cheese
1 handful of Parsley (optional)
1 handful breadcrumbs
- Separate the ribs of the Celery reassemble in a low pan or baking dish.
- Thinly slice the Onion and scatter on top with Bay Leaves, a little Salt and some Black Pepper.
- Poach gently with enough water to cover the ribs until Celery tender.
- Remove Celery, Onion and Bay Leaves with perforated spoon and lay in shallow baking dish.
- Melt Butter in another sauce pan, stir in flour, cook lightly on low heat for a few minutes, taking care not to burn it.
- Add 350ml of cooking liquid and the Milk.
- Continue cooking gently, stirring continuously until you have a smooth sauce; bringing just to boil then removing from heat.
- Stir in finely chopped Parsley if used and half of the Cheese.
- Pour over Celery.
- Mix rest of Cheese with breadcrumbs and sprinkle over the top.
- Bake for 40 mins until bubbling and caramellising.
- Serve with your favourite Summer Salad.