One onion finely sliced.
150g Brussels sprouts (Uncooked).
150g Gram flour (Chickpea flour)
½ tsp Baking powder
1 chilli finely chopped
2 tsp curry powder (or a mix of ground cumin, coriander, turmeric)
1 tsp whole cumin seeds
200ml of cold water or beer.
- Finely slice the onion and shred the Brussels sprouts.
- Place in a sieve or colander and sprinkle with a tsp of salt and leave for about 30 mins to draw out some of the moisture.
- Place in a tea towel and ring the mixture to squeeze some of the liquid out.
- Into a bowl sieve the flour, baking powder and spices.
- Add the vegetables and chopped chilli and add the water or beer to make a thick batter.
- In a deep pan or wok heat 750ml of oil (sunflower, vegetable or ground nut).
- Add a tiny speck of batter to the oil, if it rises and starts to brown it’s hot enough.
- Add a heaped tbsp of the mixture to the pan and fry in batches of 2 or three trying not to over crowd the pan.
- Once brown and cooked through take out and drain on kitchen paper.
- Keep warm in a low oven until all the mixture is used.
- Serve with our recipe for leftover veg curry!