Cavolo Nero can be used in all cabbage recipes but it's particularly good in soups - such as the classic Tuscan soup, Ribolitta. Cavolo Nero is also delicious cooked simply. The strong flavours of anchovy, garlic and chilli in this recipe compliment the rich iron Cavolo Nero.
300g Cavolo Nero
3 tbsp Olive oil
2 Garlic cloves finely chopped
1 Chilli, finely chopped (seeds discarded)
4 Anchovy fillets, chopped
1/2 Lemon, juiced
- Bring a large pan two-thirds full with salted water to the boil.
- Carefully cut the Cavolo Nero leaves off the central stalk by running your knife along the stalk and then thickly slice the leaves across.
- Add the leaves to the pan and cook for 3 minutes, stirring so they cook evenly.
- At the same time, heat a tablespoon of oil in a frying pan over a medium heat, add the garlic and chilli and cook briefly until the garlic is sizzling and just starting to colour, stirring frequently, then remove from the heat and stir in the anchovies to warm through.
- Drain the Cavolo Nero in a colander and add to the pan with the anchovy mixture.
- Toss with 3 tablespoons of oil and the lemon juice.
- Serve with pasta or as a side dish.