Celeriac is a wonderfully aromatic root veg, combined with pears for a great warming winters side dish.
1 Knob butter
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
400ml Double cream
100ml Whole milk
1 Clove garlic, peeled and halved
1 Bay leaf
1 Good grating of nutmeg
- Heat the oven to 170C.
- Rub a gratin dish with the butter.
- Peel the potatoes and Celeriac and slice them thinly, either with a sharp knife or a mandoline.
- Peel, quarter and core the pears, and slice each quarter thinly lengthwise.
- Combine in a bowl, season and toss. Arrange the mixture in the gratin dish.
- Put the cream and milk in a saucepan with the garlic halves, the bay leaf, the nutmeg and plenty of salt and pepper heating until just below boiling.
- Pour over the veg and pear. Bake in the oven for around 1 hour 15mins until the veg is cooked and the top is golden and bubbling.