Fennel has a fresh mild aniseed flavour and pairs well with Fish and Pork. When eaten raw, the texture is crisp and when cooked, it's softer and more mellow with a caramel flavour. Try this really simple and easy salad recipe as a side dish for your main meal.
One Large Fennel bulb
One Orange (or other citrus such as Clementines)
1 tbsp Cider Vinegar
Salt and Black Pepper
- Cut the tops off the Fennel (Don’t waste them they are great in stock or soups).
- Thinly slice the Fennel and place in a bowl of ice cold water, leave for a few minutes then drain.
- Add the Fennel to a bowl, then cut away the skin of the orange and segment by cutting between the lines of pith.
- Add the segments of orange to the Fennel. To make the dressing squeeze the remainder of the orange into a small bowl then add the cider vinegar and a few tablespoons of olive oil.
- Season to taste with salt and a generous grinding of black pepper.