Mibuna is a Japanese leafy vegetable and as well as including in salads, can be used in stir fries and other recipes that call for Oriental Greens. It has a faint, sweet mustard flavour. We suggest chopping before cooking as the leaves can be quite fibrous when cooked. (As with other greens, try soaking in salted water first to get rid of any unwanted wildlife!).
100g Giant Couscous (Brown Rice would work well too.)
200g Mibuna Leaves
50g Almonds (or other nuts)
2 tbsp Olive Oil
50g Raisins or finely chopped Prunes
One Clove of Garlic
Salt and Black Pepper
- Cook Couscous in water for about 8mins until soft.
- Meanwhile, chop Onion and sauté in Olive Oil.
- Add 3/4 Mibuna Leaves chopped into 2cm lengths and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the rest of the chopped Mibuna. Cover and put to one side.
- Toast Almonds under grill.
- Grind Almonds with a food processor or pestle and mortar.
- Mix juice of Lemon and half of it's zest in a bowl, together with crushed Garlic, ground Almonds and Raisins.
- Add the Couscous and the Mibuna/Onion mix.
- Season with Salt and Black Pepper. Mix well and serve.
- It is a meal in itself.