A really simple side dish. These work great with bacon, cold meats and salmon or even try them on their own.
Three Medium Potatoes
One Large Leek, finely sliced
Vegetable or Light Olive Oil
- Peel the potatoes (or leave the skins on for more rustic cakes) and then boil them in salted water.
- Whilst the potatoes are cooking melt the butter in a pan and cook the leeks over a low heat, stirring occasionally until they are soft and tender.
- Bring the milk to the boil in a pan and then switch off and leave aside.
- When the potatoes are cooked, drain them and then return to the pan on the heat to dry out for a minute or so.
- Mash the potato, adding the milk as you go.
- When the mash is thick and smooth, stir in the leeks and season well with salt and pepper (you could even add a bit of grated cheese if you like).
- Leave the mixture to cool and then shape into patties.
- Heat some oil in a frying pan, slide in the cakes and colour on both sides.
- Don’t be tempted to move and shake the frying pan, let them make a golden crust first before flipping.
- This should take about 3-4 mins on each side.
- Lift out of the frying pan and then drain on kitchen paper.