This makes a wonderfully light, golden cake – really worth trying,
This is a Canadian recipe and I haven’t converted it, so hopefully you have the American cup measures around!
1 ¾ cups Sugar
1 cup Vegetable Oil
2 cups Solid pack pumpkin (or other squash) – (either boil 1 inch cubes or roast a chunk of pumpkin in the oven until tender and mash in a sieve to strain out any liquid: the pumpkin is quite solid)
2tsp Baking Powder
½ tsp Salt
¼ tsp Nutmeg
2 cups Plain Flour
- Preheat Oven to 350, grease and baseline a 13’ x 9’ pan.
- Beat eggs till frothy, add sugar continue beating for 2 minutes.
- Beat in oil and pumpkin.
- Sift dry ingredients over wet mixture. Fold in gently, do not overmix.
- Pour into pan.
- Bake for 35 – 40 minutes.
- Cool on a rack, cut into 24 squares.
You could glaze it with the following icing:
1 cup Icing sugar 4tsp Orange Juice
½ tsp Orange Peel
- Sieve sugar into a bowl and mix all in the juice and peel, drizzle over the cooled cake.