We know that sometimes customers are a bit at a loose end when it comes to celery in their boxes. This particular Celery is suited to being cooked, used as base (soffritto) for risottos, stews and soups with it’s aromatic flavour which mellows as it cooks and takes on the other flavours of the dish. You could also turn the flavours of the classic Waldorf salad into a soup:
One Knob of Butter
One Medium Onion
Three Floury Potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
One Head of Celery
One Bay leaf
900ml Stock (either chicken or vegetable)
To Garnish 40g Walnuts and One eating apple
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over a gentle heat.
- Gently fry the onion until soft, then add the potatoes, celery, bay leaf and stir for a couple of minutes.
- Add the stock and bring to the boil, adding seasoning to your taste.
- Simmer for about 25 mins until the vegetables are cooked. Blend the soup with a hand blender until smooth and keep warm on the hob.
- Warm a frying pan over a medium heat and toast the walnuts for about 3 or 4 mins stirring frequently.
- Tip into a bowl and then quarter and core the apple and cut into 8 slices, add a small knob of butter to the same pan and then fry the apple slices until they just start to colour.
- Taste your soup again for seasoning and serve into bowls, garnishing with the walnuts, apple and even some celery leaf.